VPX3-1256 3U VPX Intel Core i7 Sandy Bridge SBC
The VPX3-1256 is not recommended for new designs. Please see the VPX3-1257 Intel Core i7 3rd Generation SBC.
The VPX3-1256 rugged, high performance 3U OpenVPX single board computer is based on the Intel Core i7 2nd-generation (Sandy Bridge) quad-core processor. The VPX3-1256 Intel SBC is a full featured 3U OpenVPX SBC, designed for harsh aerospace and defense applications. Each of the Core i7's four cores delivers 2.1 GHz of performance, providing advanced Intel Architecture processing in a lightweight, compact configuration ideal for size, weight, and power (SWaP) constrained applications. With a wide complement of on-board I/O, Gen2 PCIe fabric and XMC expansion, the VPX3-1256 Intel SBC satisfies the most demanding fielded applications for unmanned aerial and ground vehicles, tactical aircraft, armored vehicles and rugged naval systems.
Available in a full range of air- and conduction-cooled configurations, the rugged VPX3-1256 Intel SBC combines the significantly improved floating-point performance of the recently introduced Intel Core i7 processor with the substantial bandwidth and system-enabling features of the 3U OpenVPX form factor. The board's quad-core processor features the new Intel Advanced Vector Extensions (AVX) floating-point instructions, and delivers unmatched performance. The VPX3-1256 Intel SBC is available with up to 16 GB of high-bandwidth DDR3 SDRAM (1333 MHz) and comes with a rich complement of high-speed I/O, including dual Gigabit Ethernet, Gen2 PCIe, three (3) USB 2.0 ports, and an XMC/PMC site supported with eight (8) lanes of Gen2 PCI Express (PCIe).
The Versatile Performance Switching (VPX) module format, governed by the VITA 46 specification and the associated VITA 48 Ruggedized Enhanced Design Implementation (VPX-REDI) was established to address the fundamental requirement to provide open-architecture modules that incorporate the high-speed serial interconnect technology that is becoming pervasive in high performance computing.
The VPX3-1256 Intel SBC is supported with an extensive array of software items, which cover all facets of developing application code for the board. The VPX3-1256 Intel SBC supports the following operating systems: VxWorks, Windows XP, Windows 7, and Linux.
- VPX3-1256 datasheet
- VPX3-1256 3U VPX Intel Core i7 SBC fact sheet
- Application Note: Sandy Bridge vs Ivy Bridge - A Defense & Aerospace COTS Perspective Comparison
You May Also Be Interested in These Documents
- Intel SBC family fact sheet
- White Paper: Addressing the Challenges of Lead-free Technology in Mil-Aero Electronics
- Application Note: I/O Expansion for COTS-based Embedded Systems
- 11/14/12 - Curtiss-Wright Controls Awarded Contract for GPGPU-based Processor Subsystem
- SoftMap - Digital Mapping & Situational Awareness Visualization System Ready Application Factsheet
- Product & Capabilities Guide
- Product & Capabilities Guide A4 size
- 3U VPX form factor
Intel® Core™ i7 quad-core processor
- 2.1GHz Sandy Bridge
- 6MB L3 Cache
- 8/16 GB DDR3 SDRAM
- 16GB NAND FLASH Drive
- TPM Support (optional)
- High performance XMC site
- Intel® Graphics:(2) DVI
- (2) Gigabit Ethernet (Quad SERDES option available)
- (1) AC97 Stereo Audio port
- (2) EIA-232
- (2) EIA-422
- (4) GPIO
- (3) USB
- (3) Serial ATA (SATA)
- Backplane Fabric: (2) 4x PCI Express (PCIe) Gen 2
- Supports 3U VPX profiles: MOD3-PAY-2F2U-16.2.3-2,3 and MOD3-PAY-2F2T-16.2.5-2,3
- Ruggedized air-cooled and conduction-cooled
- Windows® WES7, Linux®, VxWorks®, LynuxWorks LynxSecure